Fails to start on first boot after installation:
Boot with failsafe the first time, the 2nd time normal boot will work. I don't know why it works, it is a stupid workaround.
Fixing segmentation faults in Mozilla Thunderbird:
This issue only occurs when using LDAP for login authentication. Starting nscd works around the problem, but for some reason nscd does not want to start at boot time. I have never been a fan of nscd anyway, I after having hours trying to get debug why nscd does not start I gave up and found a workaround in a BUG 291127.
mv libldap60.so libldap60.so.REAL
ln -s /usr/lib64/libldap-2.4.so.2 libldap60.so
This is not really a satisfactory solution, as everytime I upgrade Thunderbird, I might need to fix the symlink again, but it got it going.
Autofs cannot mount NFS locations:
This appears to be name resolving bug in autofs 5.0.6. Solved it by doing
rpm -Uvh --oldpackage autofs-5.0.5-2mdv2010.1.x86_64.rpm
CD-ROM only works during installation:
Delete /dev/cdrom line from /etc/fstab as per Mandriva Errata.
Network errors on eth0:
If the ethernet adaptor according to lspci is "Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)" then set the MTU=1000 (in contrast to default of 1500) as per a previous posting.
BCM4312 wifi driver:
If you are unlucky still to have Broadcom wireless hardware in your G550, then some work lies ahead. This specific hardware identifies itself to lspci as
Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
Mandriva gives you the option to use the new dkms-broadcom-wl package, but it simply did not want to install on the default 2.6.39 kernel due to DKMS build failures. I decided to settle for using the firmware-dependent b43 driver instead. For this the b43-fwcutter package had to be installed and the firmware downloaded from openwrt and unpacked - just follow the Mandriva instructions. It was also necessary to edit /etc/modprobe.conf and add the line
options b43 pio=1 qos=0
(Src: OpenSuse Forums)
Finally setting MTU=1000 as was the case for the ethernet hardware, solved the dropping of packets.